The Safe Surrey Coalition is releasing its Public Safety Platform based on the following principles:
- Accountability for public safety flows directly from the Mayor.
- The public can be better involved in public safety through better access to information and more opportunities to participate.
- Increased police and enforcement presence on Surrey’s streets acts as a deterrent to crime before it occurs.
- Proactive policing is most effective when collaborative with a range of city departments, services and staff.
- The City of Surrey is entitled to a higher level of service for the more than $100 million of taxpayers’ money it annually spends on the RCMP; officers need to come out of the office, and put onto the streets.
- A public safety agenda must be proactive by taking aim at the root causes of crime.